Sunday, December 22, 2013

#663 - Winter Solstice / Bangkok Travelogue - Day 3 and Day 4


Woke up early to 搓汤圆 for Winter Solstice!
It's my family's tradition to do so every year. :) These old school 汤圆 are hard to find already, nowadays they are being replaced by those w fillings.
Can't decide which one I like, both are nice.

These old school ones are very chewy like pearls! ^^

I blogged a 汤圆 tutorial 4 years ago here (oh my, time flies, I was a 弱女子 at only 17 then hahaha) in case anyone's interested to know how to make them.

I remember last time when my grandparents still stay with me and we'd make the 汤圆 together. And because my brother and I were still young and 不懂事, we always talk a lot of nonsense and then my grandma would speak to us in Hokkien "Sou yi (dk how to spell hokkien form pinyin) Mai luan luan gong wei." which means "Don't talk nonsense when making 汤圆." We'd both shut up after that haha.

Gonna visit my grandparents later, will show grandma the photo above heh! ^^

Happy Winter Solstice everyone! :)

PS: Grandma saw the photo and keep saying good good and then smiled and showed to grandpa who laughed happily! Yay! :D

***

Read about my Bangkok Travelogue - Day 1 and Day 2 here if you haven't. :)


 Spent Day 3 morning combing the Bobae morning market for good deals but returned to the hotel empty-handed.

 Breakfast in the hotel again and I discovered I quite like the taste of jam on toasted bread lol.
This coming from someone who doesn't really like jam.

Checked out the hotel, had some time to spare while waiting for May's mum doing 最后冲刺 here and thus we explored the hotel a while.

May, you see I how 厉害, can edit from cannot see my face at all to this. LOLOL.



Cabbed to Pratunam area to our hotel, First House which had a very good location (just next to Pratunam market). This explains why it was at 2270 Baht / approx SGD88 per night I guess. When we reached the lobby, it was full of stock from those typical shop/blogshop owners. 

 A very basic hotel!
And their breakfast area looks like a canteen haha!



 Headed down and walked a bit to try the wanton mee since our hotel was along Soi Petchburi 19 and that was where the popular wanton mee stall was located at!
Look out for the thaiwords x2 sign to spot it!

There was a short queue outside and an epic moment happened, we just followed May's mum blindly and then we skipped the queue and entered the restaurant. OOPs. :/


All wanton mee are priced at 50 Baht / approx SGD2 and the pork leg rice costs 60 Baht / approx SGD2.30.

As usual, my taste buds a little more unique, I thought the noodles were okay only!
A little too dry but I like the chili! Share wasn't that huge too.
May's mum said the pork leg rice was not bad!
Can give it a try lo.

To locate it is quite easy, it is just beside Shibuya19 mall, and you can see a Soi 19 sign before you walk down the lane. It will be on your right.

SabX2 Wanton Mee
4/32-33 Soi Petchburi 19
Pratunam, Bangkok, Thailand
Tel 2 653 9618

Walked a bit at Pratunam market and the crowd is really !!

Bought quite a fair bit of clothes but I really hate the term wholesale. I can't possibly get 3 similar tops of the same designs in different colours right...


Followed May's mum to shop at some place I can't remember the name don't even remember how we went there!
Only the photos as 'proof' I've been there lol.


Platinum Mall in the evening to walk around a while and we got Starbucks too!
Had the Christmas special drink with rather similar prices as in Singapore at 185 Baht / SGD7.20.


Actually, Platinum was so-so only. I had expected to see those clothings similar to that seen on blogshops but not really ehh... And the prices are steeper than Pratunam's market as well, comparable to those selling at Bugis Street in Singapore.
There were a lot of accessories shop at Level 5 though, 不错但有点小贵.

Left the mall with only a top for my brother at only 100 Baht / SGD4, can you believe it? Nothing for myself wtheck too 夸张, I thought people say Platinum is a shopping heaven?!


Somboon Seafood for dinner, had read about its famous curry crab online but didn't included it into itinerary because I had thought it would be quite inaccessible but since our itinerary was kind of affected due to the riots and May's mum sort of heard of the place before, we had time to head here instead.

Thanks to the kind and friendly cab driver who wrote down on a paper the address the day before! :)

 Deep Fried Minced Crab Roll (150 Baht / approx SGD6)

 Tom Yum Goong (260 Baht / SGD10)
Flavourful soup!

 Fried curry crab (S: 340 Baht / approx SGD13 / M: 450 Baht / approx SGD18)
The sauce was so good I drizzled it on my rice to eat with. :)
A pity that the crab did not really absorb the taste of the curry and the meat wasn't sweet enough.
Actually the curry sauce doesn't taste like curry, it was eggy salty and slightly spicy tasting.

Total bill came up to 905 Baht / approx SGD35, which works up to around SGD12 per head.
Guess it is a good place for large groups/families to visit, saw many families having dinner there. :)

There are 5 branches of Somboon Seafood and also 1 branch called Somboon Chinese which is next to the one we went. Apparently, there are quite a few fake ones. :/

8, 895/6-21 Soi Chula Line Road
Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
Tel 02 216 4203 5

 Went back to near our hotel area and initially wanted to see the view from the tallest hotel in Thailand but we had to pay...

So we headed for massage! So looking forward to it because I never have a massage before in my entire life and what's more Thailand is known for its cheap and good massage.


May's mum brought us to the one she frequents which is right next to Baiyoke Sky Hotel.

 Paid 220 Baht / approx SGD8.50 for an hour of full body massage.
The masseuse I got was good and strong hahaha.

Here are my pathetic loots for Day 3!
Very monochrome colours I know, can't seem to find good floral tops/dresses.

Best buy has got to be the black top w stripe skirt set (which I got another set in white since I love the top) and also because the whole set costs 140 Baht / SGD5.50 only! That's like SGD2 plus for a top or skirt. :O The skirt's too loose for me though, jialat.

Woke up at 6 plus on the last day in BKK and shopped around the bustling Pratunam morning market.
Other than those stalls we've seen the day before, there were many pop-up stalls as well!
Got some tops and a faded denim jacket at 100 Baht / SGD4 only!

Breakfast at the canteen-like place in the hotel.
I had 3 toasts with jam! ^^


My dress sense not anyhow like that one okay, just trying on the super comfy jumper I got at 130 Baht / SGD5!


Spent the rest of the afternoon at Platinum mall, we went to the side where Starbucks was located for shoes and bags.

Comb the area fast since we know what we wanted but the shoes mostly like ah sou kind lol and the bags cost at least SGD30++. O.O
3 levels cleared in 1 hour I am pretty sure.
What a disappointment. :(

Managed to get 2 tops 2 bottoms and some necklaces there though, but the mindset a bit different lahh.
Like I am more willing to 'pay more'. Lol.

And I remembered something zzz I did.
'Cause I was too used to saying kamsa (kamsahamnida in short lolol), once I kind of said that to the Thai shop owner after purchasing my loots. I typed 'kind of said' because I realised what I was doing when the first syllable 'kam' came out of my mouth and then I faded off the 'sa'.... OMG epic. ._.

Egg tarts / Chocobanana egg tarts from KFC! So yummy. :)
20 / 22 Baht / approx SGD0.80 per piece!

Big C supermarket was our last stop for the day and we nearly had our try at crossing the BKK jam below.
May and I didn't dare and thus we crossed via the overhead bridge in front.
If not it'd be crossing the BKK jam - #achievementunlocked. Hahaha.


不要 judge 我, I am a tourist, I got the rights lolol.

Big C supermarket is basically like Giant, very BIG.
Durians are huge too.

Got so many wu eh bo eh there even hair dyes because they were a few dollars cheaper!
One whole bag full.
The instant noodles is damn yummy man, should have gotten more!
It's not maggie mee but those glass noodles/kway teow ones. *slurps*


Oh and we took a tuktuk back to our hotel later!


Many colourful sights along the way as it zoomed left and right cutting the lanes.
Even did an illegal turn, I was actually a little scared haha.


Walked back to our hotel and I saw this!
Wanted to try this condensed milk banana prata so bad but I never see any stalls selling, until the last day!
Condensed Milk Banana Prata (40 Baht / approx SGD1.60)

Kanom Krok (Thai Coconut Pudding)

Both best eaten when hot, we had it along the way to the airport.


Last meal in BKK was Subway which we sneakily took on train and nommed on. :P
Their Subway tastes different somehow.

No loots photo for the last day because it's nothing much actually plus I was a little lazy. :/


Alright, so that concludes my BKK trip!

It was certainly an eye-opener for me and sometimes it still feels surreal that I am out of that small island called Singapore.
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the places that I shopped at where many have said it's literally a woman's heaven because they were not really the case for me.
I am sure I did not have high expectation kayy, haha.
And also, due to the riots, didn't actually go to some of the food places so yea, in the future, I'd hope to clear that food list when I can.

Anyway, really thankful for those who made this trip possible (sounds so ayg), especially my mum, who sponsored this trip! 谢谢你! <3 :)

Till then, x!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, rude people suck.