Wednesday, April 23, 2014

#692 - Food As Motivation #37 - Au Chocolat / #fooddieus


It has been closed to 3 months since I stopped my F.A.M. trips. Time flies! Resumed it just recently where Pei Wen and I visited Au Chocolat the other day since we were near MBS! Actually probably going to stop it till June. Can't wait to have F.A.M.s in Korea w Raine. :D

My main aim was to try truffle fries (w so many ravings about it, which I don't get the hype) and also not forgetting, Eggs Benedict. :D

After so long, this F.A.M. was an expensive one... Guess future F.A.M. have to be more budget.

Truffle Fries (SGD15)
The portion of fries were HUGE (filled fully) and we couldn't finish it. But I still think $15 is too much for fries. Maybe truffle oil is what jacked up the price.. /:

What I love that they were served hot and the smell of the truffle oil was rather strong. Dipping them together w the BBQ sauce/mayonnaise provided was perfect.

So.. what does truffle fries taste like? I guess it's a kind of taste not really describable, you'd have to try it for yourself. I remember people describing it as similar to petroleum (which I couldn't get it then since I have yet to try but now I do), yes it does taste/smell a little like petroleum. HAHA.

The Little Piggy Benedict (SGD20)
The eggs benedict was sadly disappointing. The egg yolks were a little cooked and the hollandaise sauce tasted like butter. Just butter. That's not what hollandaise sauce should taste like. The menu stated buttery hollandaise sauce, I didn't know it mean butter sauce. /:

The bacon were good though, not salty at all!

Duck Confit (SGD28)
Don't know what I was thinking, so expensive yet I still ordered it. I was probably really hungry and the ravings were rather positive online. We expected a lot from this dish, which sadly disappointed us. 

The duck was super salty on its own, and the flavour was enhanced w the weird chocolate orange sauce. Guess we can't appreciate such interesting fusion. /: The potato mash tasted like those instant powder kind and I guess the best out of this dish was the spinach. We didn't finish this dish.

Calories wasted on sub standard food, mehh. And not to mention, the bill came up to $74+ for bill. Goodness. We didn't even order any drinks and they don't have iced water. Only distilled/sparkling water at 6 freaking dollars. ._.

The waiter was like "Are you sure no water? You can share...." I was like "Sorry it's okay." and smiled at him while deep inside I was already rolling my eyes. Your water from some holy stream?! Lolol.

Probably wouldn't head back again even if their truffle fries are good. I am sure I can find better and cheaper truffle fries elsewhere.


Details if you're interested (click the name for link):
Au Chocolat
2 Bayfront Avenue
The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, Bay Level L1-03
Singapore 018956
Tel 66887227


So to offset the expensive brunch, we had a wayyy cheaper dinner at City Plaza, where the place's known for its handmade noodles.

Abalone Clam Hand Made Yu Mee (SGD5)
This bowl of noodles comes in $4 or $5, with the latter allowing you to add more clams or noodles. We opted for more abalone clams.

When I first tasted it, it felt pretty normal to me. I guess the taste sort of got to me as I had more. The soup is light yet not too bland, and you can still taste the flavour! Not sure how the abalone clams are supposed to taste, but I like their chewy texture. The chili... is so spicy yet so good. And this is the only time I eat the veggies in hand made noodles! Prefer this veggie over chye sim! :)

Luncheon Meat (SGD3)
I loveeeee luncheon meat. Ya I know this is pretty unhealthy since it's canned food but hey, it's so yummy. These were fried to perfection and yet not oily at all. Amazed. Goes well with the chili!

Other than luncheon meat for sides, they have other food like fried beancurd, ikan bilis as well. They give queue tags upon order, so all we have to do is just to get seats and wait for the food to arrive. Queue tags only apply to the noodles, not the sides. Sides are for self-collection. Got to mention that the seating area is quite dirty though. /:

Poon Nah City Home Made Noodle
 810 Geyland Road
City Plaza #05-02
Singapore 409286
Tel 68424524

Ended the night at Ah Chew Desserts at Liang Seah Street! The queue was so long.

Love the Mango Sango w Pomelo. :)

Ah Chew Desserts
1 Liang Seah Street
Liang Seah Place #01-10/11
Tel 63398198

#fooddieus totally man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, rude people suck.